Start a Career
Propane Service & Installation Technician
The Propane Service & Installation Technician is a key position that revolves around providing the highest standards of service to our customers while maintaining an uncompromising focus on safety and regulatory compliance. Daily duties are varied, and the ideal candidate has a high degree of self‑motivation and can work independently with minimal supervision. A high degree of teamwork is essential as the position must interact closely with our customer service representatives, sales team and delivery drivers to ensure that our customers get the level of quality and service that sets Phil’s Propane apart from our competition.
This position requires a high-energy, self-motivated team member who will provide positive energy, communicate effectively and help us achieve company goals and objectives. A simple phrase for this job is “whatever it takes” to get the job done safely, ethically and in compliance with all applicable regulations, laws and company policy. Specific responsibilities include:
- Install above ground and below ground propane systems at customer locations ranging from residential homes to commercial locations
- Install gas piping and all propane related equipment
- Service existing customer locations: troubleshooting & repairing propane systems; performing leak checks; and system startups
Backup propane delivery route driver to help handle peak demand periods (e.g., winter months)
- Accurately complete work orders manage truck inventory and assist with general branch operations tasks
- Operate consistently with a safety-first mindset with a relentless focus on the safety of our customers, team members, communities and strict compliance propane safety regulations
- Safely operate propane service truck, crane truck.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Class A or B CDL with X Endorsement (Hazmat, Tanker, Airbrakes)
- DOT Drug Screen & DOT Physical must have a valid DOT medical card and keep current for the duration of employment
Must be 21 or older
- Must participate in Continuing Education to achieve Gas Fitters License.
- Knowledge and understanding of pipe capacity and gas regulators
- Propane Experience required
- Punctual and flexible work schedule required.
- Previous customer service skills in a service capacity required.
- Must hold a valid DOT Medical Card and keep current for the duration of employment
- Must have a clean driving record (0-points) and maintain a clean driving record for the duration of employment.
- Required to participate in continuing education for applicable NPGA/CETP certifications and state and federal licensing requirements.
- Problem solving methods
- Attention to detail
- Bilingual a plus
- Safety Mindset – We expect our team members to have a good understanding of the importance of safety and a genuine safety culture. Our team members should always consider the impact on safety when making decisions and consistently model safe practices in all decision making.
- Customer Service Focus – We expect our team members to make customers their highest priority, second only to safety. We are looking for someone who is committed to meeting the needs of all customers; establishes rapport and engages customers in discussing all of their needs so we can provide solutions to ensure an excellent customer experience.
- Integrity – We expect our team members to exhibit trustworthiness and demonstrate high professional and personal standards.
- Legal compliance – We expect our team members to abide by all applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Communication – We expect our team members to listen and respond appropriately to other team members, and for our team leaders to provide clear direction for daily work priorities.
- Teamwork Mentality – We expect our team members to collaborate effectively with others and complete work efficiently to enable the team to meet deadlines.
Education and Experience Required:
- High School Diploma
- Good technology and mechanical/technical aptitude
- Able to learn service work paperwork processes
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather and driving conditions.
- Able to safely operate the equipment required for the position (as noted above)
- HVAC, plumbing & gas piping, electrical or mechanical: 1 year
Environmental conditions such as rain, mud, ice, snow, and uneven terrain will affect this job, as the employee spends most of the workday outdoors.
Pay / Hours:
Pay will be determined by level of relevant experience combined with certifications & licenses held. Hours will vary based on the demands of the propane season, service schedules and other factors.
Physical Requirements include heavy lifting, using hand tools (shovel, hoe, rake, hammer, screw drivers, drills, etc.) pushing, pulling, squatting, crawling, digging, shoveling.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work expectations for the position and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this position. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $23.00 - $28.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
- Industry / piping: 3 years (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Class A CDL or Class B CDL (Required)
- Hazmat certification (Required)
- Gas Fitters License (Required)
- Portuguese (Preferred)
- English (Required)
- United States (Required)
Work Location: In person